Thursday, April 7, 2011

Thankful Thursdays

*Or the 2 train, or the 5 train, or any train!*

Today I'd like to talk about something that, actually until today, I didn't realize how thankful I was for it.  Now before I say (type) this, I want you to know that I in no way enjoy being unemployed.  Slowly but surely I see myself becoming a bum.  You know the type.  Sits or lays in his/her bed and just watches Soap Operas, re-runs of Beverly Hills 90210 (& I still HATE Kelly. Only on TV would a guy like Dylan choose a whiny chick like Kelly over Brenda. LAME!) and Maury.  Yea, that really sucks. HOWEVER! I am EXTREMELY thankful that for the past two months I have not had to take the freaking Subway!  Oh how I loathe the MTA. *Yea there's a bit of Monday Grievance in this post; deal with it.*  I have had the most un-stressful two months of my life and I didn't understand why.  Now looking for a job has been stressful in itself, don't get me wrong, but I've been really calm about it.  If I don't get a call back or someone sends me a rejection letter, I don't freak out.  I go to the gym, I hang out with my friends and family and do my job investigating.  So I thought it was because I was switching my focus up, and that's why I was so calm.  BUT NO!!! Thank you MTA for proving that it's because of you (and a little bit of my old job) that I used to wake up in the mornings contemplating murder.

The MTA has to be the worse & unorganized business there is, next to the government and banks.  So the fact that I haven't had to deal with them over the past two months has really been a blessing.  Now some of you reading this may think I'm crazy, but humor me and I'll help you understand.  For example, today I had an interview at 11a...  Side note, I'm also VERY thankful today for that interview.  Whether I get the job or not, it's a good feeling to know someone wants to meet my crazy self...  Well I get to the train station at 9:30a, even though according to HopStop.com would only take 50 mins from my house to the destination.  But everyone likes to leave early, right? Wrong, I don't like too, I need too, and I'm sooooo happy I did.  I waited 10mins at my station for a train. The 5 comes, I need a two.  The 2 comes I hop on, and get stuck in a tunnel for about another 5 to 10 mins. I get off on 42nd to wait for the N or R train and wait for what felt like forever... Oh not to mention the girl who was running a race behind me, nearly knocked me down, and stopped at the bottom of the stairs and then just stood there! No, there was no train in sight!!!!  I'm still baffled at to what the hell she was running too or from.  I finally get on, get to my stop and then there's like 20 exits at the station. I got there at about 10:40a. Not bad (sarcasm), considering I started the "train journey" at about 9:45 or so.

Now on my way back home the R gets there really fast, and its smooth sailing. But THEN it's on to wait for the 5.  It came within 15mins.  Now I get off at my stop to transfer to the 2 because as always the 5 is going express.... Oh wait, did I forget to mention the man who thought he was auditioning for a Salsa band who was not only singing at the top of his lungs to a car filled with 6 people, but was also banging his rang away on the pole like he was playing the conga.  Or the fact that when we got to 125th street we waited about 15mins in the station and then another 5 because these guys were trying to get on and kept holding the doors? Well yea, all that happened too... So back to waiting for the two.  After I got off the 5, another 5 comes, and then a train not in service, and then finally a 2. ONLY to now tell us that ALL trains are going express due to "track work".  With all the track work that's been going on for the past 20 years!, we should all be able to ride to OZ by now.  So now I have to get out of the station and walk to the bus, whose line is around the block.  And even though there are 2 buses taking passengers (obviously one of them was late) and their both the accordion style (so plenty of people will fit on either), people are pushing their way onto the buses.  Did I miss the part where there's free cheese and wine on this bus?  And normally I'd defend the elderly, but those little shits where hitting people with their canes and carts!  It is at this point where that twitch I used to get in my left eye every morning on the train platform, started up again.  And it is also at this point where I started to scan for objects (including the old people's cane's and grocery carts) and police men, wondering if I could beat someone with anything found, and get away scott free.  Yea, it's gets dangerous out there my dear readers.

So yes, though this seems more like a blog about what I hate, it really is about how thankful I am right now not to have to take the godforsaken train.  My ultimate dream would be to be able to drive everywhere, never having to use the subway again. However I don't have a car and my mom won't lend me her's.  But in the meantime I will continue to be thankful that unlike so many of my friends, who have the misfortune day in and day out, I do not have to take that damn train right now.  So while I'm tired of being unemployed and pray every night to finally get that job that's going to bring me out of this funk, I rejoice in the fact that I don't have to deal with the subway or the annoying people on it.

So what are you thankful for on this wonderful Thursday (or everyday)?

Happy Blogging All!!!

*Photo Credit

No comments:

Post a Comment