Saturday, December 18, 2010

Go Ahead & Ask 'Em

I am so proud and filled with joy today! Don't Ask Don't Tell was finally repealed!  Obama is scheduled to sign on the dotted line as soon as the Bill reaches his desk! Yippie!!!!    http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/12/18/senate.dadt/index.html

First of all I can't believe that this has been an issue for 17 years! The Men & Women of our Military risk their lives day in and day out, and many of them couldn't even receive letters from their partners due to the fear of being discovered. And there are so many people out there who simple don't understand or choose not to understand other peoples lifestyles.  I remember talking to a male acquaintance once who was providing his service to our country, and he told me that he didn't want any *choice word* staring at him while he got undressed. I look at him in disgust, but calmly pointed out that I highly doubted that a gay male would enlist, travel around the world to face guns & bombs simply for the "pleasure" of looking at his skrawny ass. He acted annoyed with me after that. I acted proud :)

Everyday we struggle with so many issues, from civil rights, racism, the economic conditions, health care; I mean the list goes on and on. But it's as moments like this that I am proud to be an American. It may just be a small step, but I think it's clear that change is possible, and I believe its a step in the right direction. In my opinion it all relates back to one thing, basic human rights. No one should be discriminated because of who they choose to love, what skin color they are, what their beliefs are, etc. In the words of Ms. Lady Gaga, "We were born this way!" And I don't think I'd want it any other way.

Happy Blogging All :)

No comments:

Post a Comment